Breathe

I waited to inhale...but, when I finally did the air was too thick.
I might have waited too long.
The air was warm and thick and hidden within it's warmth was the fainest reminder of regret. 
So I held onto it, in hopes that maybe it would make me feel different. 
I'd long exhaled that which moves within me.  
So, it no longer felt good. 
To be embraced within its inner loins, no longer served me.
The refrain after the fall was dashed by a deeper cut.
With each breathe I suffer for wanting that which is offered freely.
I took as much in, as it was mine for the taking but it was all so suffocating.
I wanted to release that which was buried deep within.
Take it all, every last bit of it, if it meant I could be free!
I longed for what was promised
But I was deceived.
The gift was delayed and the intention misplaced. 
I can't have it, for it does not belong to me. 
Breaking my heart as it bleeds dry from it's seeds into the ground.
An offering to mother for her sacrifice.
Naturing the nurturer to receive what has been lost.
It was my greatest regret served on a platter for your taking. 
It was received with haste and vast breaking of promises once owed. 
It's only in the darkest places that reprieve is received as solace
The price was paid and an oath taken in its place






Comments

Popular Posts